To most people my age, it seems, this is a completely unreasonable stance. Everyone pities Tristian, whose crazy, crazy mother doesn’t want him to watch Disney movies. I have yet to find anyone who responds with “oh, thank god, my kid isn’t allowed to watch them, either.” (I have hope, though—surely someone else is bothered by this, right?)
In the interest of being a pretty laid back mom, I have tried to
adopt a more moderate view of the world and it’s evils. With my son, I
am trying a more balanced approach, believing that he should not be
sheltered constantly from American culture, or taught to fear and judge or
overreact to everything he will see.
There are a lot of problematic movies and shows out there, I’m sure
that Tristian will see his fair share of those. But what is it about Disney
movies, specifically, that I find so offensive?
When I was little, it was made clear to me–as I’m sure it was made clear
to many others–that my primary job in life was to grow up and go to
college so that I could get a nice, smart boy to marry me. No one ever
said that, of course, but it was clear that that’s what people, girls,
did, and once they did that, their lives would be good and middle class
and easy. I know that it sounds stupid, but part of me is still trying
to get over the fact that this is just not true, that
even if you win the lottery and marry someone totally awesome, life will
still be hard. That you have to work at relationships, and even when
you have a great relationship it’s still hard. That even if you’re rich,
life is still hard, because life’s not fair, and bad things will happen
and you’ll have to deal with it, and sometimes all the money in the
world can’t make that better.
It’s never mentioned that life doesn’t have to be easy to be good.
I believe that films aimed at kids should be about finding your place with your family, or
with your friends. The Incredibles was awesome. Spy Kids. Quest for Camelot. Sure, they’re less common than the yay-a-prince films, but they’re better.
They’re more interesting, and there’s more to them–they require
stronger characters and more of a plot than “we saw each other and fell
in true love and lived happily ever after”.
A couple months ago, my six year old sister was watching a popular Disney Channel show called "Good Luck Charlie." Being too tired to haggle with her over the remote, resulted in a huge realization as to why the hell bullying statistics are so high! In the show, the main character girl is obsessing over this super hot guy that showed interest in her as well. Then, she finds out he plays a trading card game in the park with her little brother and is disgusted by him. I thought she would learn a valuable lesson about it at the end, but nope. Her lesson was that nerds are losers.
I COULD NOT BE MORE DISGUSTED.
Parents. Are you watching this garbage?
I certainly had not done my research. It's Disney. How the hell do you go from Bubble Guppies, to this
absolute trash? I so very wrongly figured that a company like Disney
would not be promoting cruelty, bullying and sexism in their shows for
young, impressionable children. I was completely mortified as I
watched.
These shows are laced with terrible social behavior. Like
the scene in a different one, where the “nerdy” boy walks up to a pretty “popular”
girl and asks her out…she threw her bowling ball and ran away
screaming.
*Cue audience laughter*
That's supposed to be hilarious? I'm sorry, but I don't find that funny one bit.
There were so many examples of rude, mean responses to
difficult social situations for kids, followed by the character
shrugging it off, recorded laughter, and the characters moving on
without showing any realistic emotions. No anger, no hurt feelings. Comedy.
I started to become more and more angry with Disney the deeper I dug into these shows. How in the world will we teach our
children to be kind and put a stop to cruel behavior in schools when THE
DISNEY CHANNEL is showing these bullying behaviors followed by laughter and
no emotional response?
Just when I thought I had seen the worst, there was a scene
that actually made me want to cry. I wanted to cry for every single little girl that watches this show. A pretty/coincided girl, conspiring
to create a room-sized walk in closet for all her makeup! and clothes!
and shoes! She was asked by two boys to help them with a math problem. She does.
To which they exclaim, “Thank you, you are a genius!”
The girl is offended.
The boys hurry to fix their "horrible" mistake with “Oh! I mean you are SO beautiful!”
….and she prances away, satisfied.
Excuse me while I throw up.
SHAME ON YOU DISNEY.
It’s hard enough to raise kids who will have the moral fortitude to
stand up for themselves and for each other. It’s hard enough to get a moment to catch my breath and feel like my son is safe and entertained for 30 minutes under the DISNEY umbrella
without unwittingly downloading vain, cruel, and damaging sexist garbage
into his impressionable brains.
I
think with parenting comes great responsibility. Just cause we grew up
watching those movies doesn't mean they are okay. Things do affect our
children. The first six yrs of their lives and the experiences they have
and things they see, shape their minds and
who they become. There's so much research that talks about this.
Children's innocence is robbed from them so early nowadays. These movies
can get pretty violent and scary and for what? To teach what lesson?
Children are sponges when it comes to absorbing information and they are
constantly learning from what they hear and see. We have a huge
responsibility to protect them as much as we can. Therefore, as with all T.V. + movie viewing, it should be
well-supervised and given the opportunity to discuss the themes and
clear up any misconceptions in our precious little one minds.

Your son will grow up awesome cause of you! I never looked at this stuff in this way until I read your blog :) awesome post! Thanks for shedding new light on this issue.
ReplyDeleteSo I came across your post and I thought the title was kind of humorous. After reading the whole post, I have to say I can not agree more. I really hadn't thought about Disney that way. I never put the events of each show in the light you just posted. Looking back now and realizing... little girls don't want to be losers... and little boys don't want to be the nerds.. so they try to take on the role that they see on tv of the popular girls who are too good for every one or the jocks that don't care about their test score just about sports. Its like a sudden realization! My youngin will definitely be steered away from the Disney channel now thanks to you (: I always compared these new shows to the 90s tv shows. Always commented on how we actually used to have a moral to the episode. Thank you for opening my eyes a little bit wider!
ReplyDelete